Thursday, October 14, 2010

French bread

This bread is so yummy!! I could see this replacing our store bought white bread.  I made two batches of this dough and the other did not rise,  I baked it and it came out VERY heavy and when I cut into it it was doughy. But I am pretty sure that that was because my water was not warm enough when I proofed my yeast.
I will make sure I alway check and that my water is at 110.



1 c warm water (110 degrees)
2 1/2 c bread flour
1 tbsp white sugar
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp bread machine yeast
1 egg yolk
1 tbsp water

Combine water , yeast and sugar  allow to proof ( let  sit for 10 minutes), then add salt and flour. Knead until no longer sticky.

Place dough in oiled bowl turning to coat all sides. Cover and let rise in a warm place for 30 minutes or until doubled. Dough is ready if an indention remains when touched.

Pouch down dough on a lightly floured surface. I then hand formed mine into a loaf.  placed it on a oiled baking sheet. making deep slashes across the top.

Cover and let rise for 30 -40 minutes

Preheat oven to375

Mix egg yolk with 1 tbsp water and brush over top

Bake for 20 minutes or until Golden brown



No comments:

Post a Comment