Thursday, December 2, 2010

Can you imagine not buying bread at the grocery store??

 I have not bought a loaf of bread since I started this blog.  A couple of times when Charlie has wanted a PB & J and I hadn't baked any bread because we just returned home from travel I thought about running up and grabbing a loaf but I didn't. I would just tell him we need to bake some bread and he would gladly help me.

This is the loaf I have been baking lately....

Amish White
2c warm water (110 degrees)
2/3 c white sugar
1 1/2 tbsp active dry yeast
1 1/2 tsp salt
1/4 c vegetable  oil
6 c bread flour
all-purpose flour for surface and removing stickiness from dough

In large bowl dissolve sugar in warm water then stir in yeast, allow to proof.

Mix oil and salt into the yeast mixture. Add flour in 1 cup at a time. Knead dough on lightly floured surface ( I have found that a wood cutting board works great) until smooth. Place in well oiled bowl turning to coat. Cover with a damp towel allow to rise until doubled (about 1 hour)

After rise punch down dough, knead (on floured surface) for a few mintues adding some flour to remove stickiness from dough. Divide in half shape into loafs and place in two well oiled  9 x 5 loaf pans. Allow to rise for 30 minutes or until dough has risen 1 inch above pan.


Bake at 350 for 25- 30 minutes.

No comments:

Post a Comment